The 76th Annual Academy Awards will be held
on Sunday, February 29, 2004, three weeks earlier than usual.
- August 1, 2003: Scientific and Technical Award entry deadline.
- September 2, 2003: Documentary categories entry deadline.
- October 1, 2003: Foreign Language Film and Short Films categories
- November 3, 2003: Animated Feature film category entry deadline.
- December 1, 2003: Deadline for receipt of official screen
credit forms to qualify feature films for award consideration.
Music categories submission deadline.
- December 31, 2003: Awards year ends at midnight.
- January 2, 2004: Nominations ballots mailed.
- January 17, 2004: Nominations polls close 5 p.m. PST.
- January 27, 2004: Nominations announced 5:30 a.m. PST, Samuel
- February 4, 2004: Final ballots mailed.
- February 9, 2004: Nominees Luncheon, Beverly Hilton Hotel.
- February 14, 2004: Scientific and Technical Awards Presentation,
6 p.m. PST.
- February 24, 2004: Final polls close 5 p.m. PST.
- February 29, 2004: 76th Annual Academy Awards Presentation
from the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland® televised
live by the ABC Television Network beginning at 5:30 p.m.
PST, with a half-hour arrivals program preceding the presentation
Academy members selected the nominees in their respective branches,
with the exception of the Animated Feature and Foreign Language
Film categories, where nominations were selected by vote of
screening committees. All members select the Best Picture nominees.
The secret ballots were mailed to 5,816 members in early January
and were returned directly to PricewaterhouseCoopers, the international
accounting firm, for tabulation.
Official screenings of all pictures with a nomination were available
for members at the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater. Screenings
in special categories also were held in London, New York and
The Academy's entire active and life membership is eligible
to select the winners in all categories, although in five of
them - the two short film, the two documentary and the foreign
language film categories - members can vote only after attesting
they have seen all of the nominated films in those categories.